Welcome to Fred Korthagen's website
Korthagen is a professor emeritus of Utrecht University, the Netherlands. His academic fields are the professional development of teachers and teacher educators, and the pedagogy of teacher education. He has published numerous articles and books on these topics, in eight languages, and he gave keynotes on conferences and workshops all over the world.
Fred Korthagen has received several awards for his publications from the American Educational Research Association (AERA) and the Association of Teacher Educators (ATE). In 2015, he became Fellow of AERA, "to honor excellence in research". In 2019, he received the Outstanding Paper Award from the journal Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice.
Fred Korthagen's international work is focused on two main areas - click on the area of your interest:
- New online course in 2022Face-to-face and online courses and workshops on Core reflection have ... [read more]
- Keynote for teacher educators in CaliforniaFred Korthagen has given a keynote for teacher educators in ... [read more]
- Outstanding Paper AwardFred Korthagen has received the Outstanding Paper Award 2019 from the ... [read more]
- On-line workshop in TokyoIn November, 2018, Fred Korthagen gave an online workshop on Core ... [read more]
- Fred Korthagen receives NOBCO Quality AwardOn November 30, 2017 Fred Korthagen received the Quality Award of the ... [read more]
“I have always been fascinated by those moments when something in people's eyes starts to shine, when they become inspired. Then learning is no longer an effort, but simply enjoying what is taking place.”
Ruit, P., Korthagen, F., & Schoonenboom, J. (2019). The impact of working with core qualities on primary school pupils’ wellbeing. Educational & Child Psychology, 36(3), 7-17. Read article
Korthagen, F.A.J. & Nuijten, E.E. (2018). Core reflection: Nurturing the human potential in students and teachers. In J.P. Miller, K. Nigh, M.J. Binder, B. Novak, & S. Crowell, International Handbook of Holistic Education (pp. 89-99). New York/London: Routledge. Read chapter
Visser, L., Korthagen, F.A.J. & Schoonenboom, J. (2018). Differences in learning characteristics between students with high, average, and low levels of academic procrastination: Students’ views on factors influencing their learning. Frontiers in Psychology, 9, Article 808, 1-15. Read article
Korthagen, F.A.J. & Nuijten, E.E. (2017). Core reflection approach in teacher education. In: J. Lampert (Ed.), Oxford research encyclopedia of education. New York: Oxford University Press. Online Publication Date: Sep 2017. Read article.
Korthagen, F. (2017). Inconvenient truths about teacher learning: Towards professional development 3.0. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 23(4), 387-405. Read article